Spring weather can create unpredictable road conditions on the roads in North Carolina. Before you hit the roads this month, take a few minutes to perform a quick tire check and make sure your vehicle’s tires are ready for any condition!
1. Check the tire pressure once per month. Temperature swings can affect the tire pressure by 1 PSI for every 10 degree change. Check the manufacturer owner’s guide for the correct inflation – it isn’t always the same as the pressure listed on the tire.
2. Check tire grooves for tread and objects. Rocks, nails, and other objects can become stuck in the tread as you drive, so remove any and look for damage. In rainy conditions, your tires need at least 4/32” of tread to prevent hydroplaning. To check your tread, insert a quarter in the groove upside down. If you can see Washington’s head, your tread is too low! It may be time to replace your tires.
3. Check the sidewalls. A quick visual inspection may be able to spot potential hazards with your tires. Watch for thinning patches, especially uneven wear, that may put you at increased risk for a blow out on the roads. Cuts, bulges, and irregularities can indicate a serious problem.
4. Check the spare. Even though it’s hidden in the trunk of your vehicle, don’t forget the spare tire! The last thing we want to happen is to be stranded on the side of the road after a blow out because the spare is flat too!
5. Check the alignment, balance, and rotation. Irregular wear of the tires can be a sign for a probably with the alignment or balance of your wheels. It also means your tires will need replaced sooner! Checking your tires regularly will help you spot issues early, but make sure to include alignment inspections as part of your routine car care.
Stop by Foreign Accents for an alignment and balance check. Our technicians can quickly determine if your tires need to be rotated or need an alignment. By keeping your tires in precise alignment so that they hit the road in the exact same way for all four tires, our technicians can help ensure that you maximize the life of your tires – meaning more comfortable drives, higher fuel efficiency, and saving money!
To have our technicians inspect your tires or for advice about the warning signs to look for at home, call our team at 336.294.2137 or stop by our shop on West Market Street in Greensboro!